5 Day Portrait Intensive
June 27th-July 1st, 2013
Cost: $675 (includes model fees)
“Megan”- 12×9” oil on linen
Painting portraits is a fabulous way to develop your skill as an artist. It requires enormous focus and discipline. During this workshop we will begin drawing from simple mannequins and build up to painting from live models. Click here to get a feel for the class.
We will be exploring all skills of successful portraiture including:
- accurate drawing with guidance on how to use the tool of measuring correctly
- learning to see the foundational shapes that create the essential structure underlying the details
- lighting, design and other key elements to consider when exploring your subject in paint
- making value and colour choices that come from accurately seeing the temperature changes that exist within the light and shadow areas of the subject
- how to use a variety of hard and soft edges to turn form in a convincing way
Due to space restrictions, this workshop will require you to have a small stand alone easel and palette, either a pochade box on a tripod (awesome), or a French easel (less ideal). Acrylic and watercolor painters are most welcome as 85% of the course material is not medium specific, however I will only be offering technical guidance in oil as that is my medium.
*Note: My studio is on the 3rd floor with no elevator, and I have a golden retriever that will be at the studio during the workshop. Please take these factors into consideration when determining if this workshop is a good fit for you. Thanks!
To register please contact Liz at: